Post-Brexit warning for Brit holidaymakers

THE UK government has issued a new warning for British holidaymakers heading abroad next year.

The UK is currently in the transition period of Brexit, but this will end from January 1, 2021.

There will be a lot of changes when going on holiday next year after Brexit


There will be a lot of changes when going on holiday next year after BrexitCredit: Alamy

UK visitors will face extra checks as of January 1, when we exit the EU’s single market and free movement zone.

Earlier this year, the government launched a £93million publicity campaign called “Check. Change. Go.” urging Brits to get ready now for next year’s changes.

The new campaign being launched today will offer new information via the government website about the rules around passport validity, driving and travelling with pets, as well as reminding travellers to obtain comprehensive travel insurance and check official Government travel advice before going abroad.

Here is everything you will need to check if heading abroad next year to countries in the EU.

Driving abroad will bring changes for British tourists heading to EU countries


Driving abroad will bring changes for British tourists heading to EU countriesCredit: Alamy


Burgundy passports or those with the EU on the cover will still be valid.

After the transition period, Brits may need an additional 15 months on their documents, which means you should double check whether you need a new passport before you travel.

Previously, Brits who renewed their passport before it had expired could carry up to nine months over to their new passport – so a new passport could have the maximum validity of 10 years and nine months.

However, these additional nine months will not be valid if heading to the EU, and with Brits also then needing an additional six months on passports to be able to travel, this results in an extra 15 months needed on the passport.

Passports may need as much as 15 months left on them


Passports may need as much as 15 months left on themCredit: Credit: / Alamy Stock Photo

Driving abroad

If you do want to drive in Europe after 2020, you’ll have to get hold of an International Driving Permit.

They only cost £5.50 and can be picked up from a post office, but make sure you check which one the country you are visiting requires – there are different types.

For Brits living in Europe, driving on their UK drivers licence, they will need to be swapped over for a local licence before December 31, 2020.

Travelling with pets

British pets will have the hardest time travelling through the EU and it could take up to four months to go through the new process.

Pet passports will not be valid post-2020 so owners need to contact their vets four month before travel.


Ride the Polar Express train with an overnight stay this Christmas from £129pp


Center Parcs’ new luxury treehouses in Cumbria open with outdoor hot tubs & saunas


Thomas Cook relaunches from today with Italy and Turkey hols from £252pp


Denmark set to join quarantine list & Ireland at risk but Italy & Greece safe


Alton Towers reveals new ‘Toxic Junkyard’ attraction at this year’s Scarefest


Lindt opens largest chocolate museum in the world with 30ft fountain

Mobile phone roaming

Mobile roaming charges will depend on your network – but most of the big networks have said they will continue to offer free roaming.

EE, Vodafone, Three Mobile and O2 have all confirmed to The Sun that they have no current plans to reintroduce roaming charges.

Brits on other networks should still check with their phone company for any extra charges.

Continue Reading: Source Link

Leave a Comment