AIRBNB has blocked UK properties from accepting new bookings for the coming days unless they are for key workers.

The move comes after the accommodation site was criticised for advertising properties as suitable for guests to use to self-isolate during the coronavirus pandemic.

 

⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates

 Airbnb has blocked UK properties from accepting new bookings until at least April 18

2

Airbnb has blocked UK properties from accepting new bookings until at least April 18

The firm said it has stopped properties from receiving new bookings up to at least April 18.

An exception will be made for its initiative which offers free stays for NHS staff and paid or subsidised stays for other key workers exempt from the Government’s travel restrictions.

Last week, Airbnb blocked private room bookings and temporarily removed the ability for whole properties to be instantly booked.

Airbnb director of public policy Patrick Robinson said: “Hosts across the UK are playing a vital role in housing NHS and other medical staff as they continue their critical work.”

2

He continued: “We’ve also heard from hosts who want to help others follow the rules and keep people safe during these unprecedented times.

“Restricting bookings on Airbnb to key workers and other essential stays will allow hosts to continue supporting front-line workers while following Government guidance.”

Earlier this week it emerged that the site was listing properties advertised as places to self-isolate.

They included a house in Edinburgh described as being “the perfect place to isolate yourself from the coronavirus”.

Give now to The Sun’s NHS appeal

BRITAIN’s four million NHS staff are on the frontline in the battle against coronavirus.

But while they are helping save lives, who is there to help them?

The Sun has launched an appeal to raise £1MILLION for NHS workers.

The Who Cares Wins Appeal aims to get vital support to staff in their hour of need.

We have teamed up with NHS Charities Together in their urgent Covid-19 Appeal to ensure the money gets to exactly who needs it.

The Sun is donating £50,000 and we would like YOU to help us raise a million pounds, to help THEM.

No matter how little you can spare, please donate today here

www.thesun.co.uk/whocareswinsappeal

 

In response, UK tourism minister Nigel Huddleston said it was “incredibly irresponsible and dangerous for some property owners to be marketing themselves as ‘isolation retreats'”.

A number of glamping sites and holiday cottages are also still operating despite the crackdown on non-essential travel.

According to the Times, residents in Cornwall have reported 650 holiday lets and second homeowners to local authorities in just five days as people flout the ban and even travel during the night.

Continue Reading: Source Link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here