THE best beaches in Europe have been revealed by TripAdvisor – and two in the UK have made the top 10.
Luskentyre on the Isle of Harris and Devon’s Woolacombe Beach have come in third and sixth place, respectively.
The 2020 Travellers’ Choice Awards analyses both the quantity and quality of millions of reviews and ratings to determine the winner – this year analysing reviews pre-pandemic.
The number one beach in Europe was Spiaggia dei Conigli, located in Sicily in Italy, followed by Kleftiko Beach in Greece.
Two beaches in Spain made the top five – Playa de Ses Illetes in the Balearic Islands and La Concha Beach in San Sebastiation.
Here are the top ten beaches in Europe, according to TripAdvisor.
1. Spiaggia dei Conigli, Lampedusa, Islands of Sicily
Spiaggia dei Conigli translates as Rabbits Beach, although you’re more likely to see beautiful sea life in the shallow shores.
The Italian beach was also one of just two European beaches to make the top ten in the world.
2. Kleftiko Beach, Milos, Cyclades
Kleftiko Beach is far from any shops or amenities, making it a secluded option away from the crowds.
There are more than 70 beaches on the Greek island, but this has been voted the most beautiful.
3. Luskentyre, Isle of Harris, Outer Hebrides
As one of the largest beaches in Scotland, Luskentyre Beach held second place in the UK for two years running, and has come in third in Europe.
The beach is rarely busy thanks to its remote location, with cyclists and hikers being its most frequent visitors.
Weekend breaks to the island start from £210 for three nights.
4. Playa de Ses Illetes, Formentera, Balearic Islands
Playa de Ses Illetes is often compared to the Caribbean due to its white sandy stretches of beach.
You can easily get to it by charter boat, and it is very popular with tourists.
5. La Concha Beach, San Sebastian, Donostia, Spain
The name La Concha comes from its unusual crescent shape.
It curves around the San Sebastian Old Town, making it easily accessible.
6. Woolacombe Beach, Woolacombe, United Kingdom
The beach, located in the seaside resort of Woolacombe, boasts three miles of sand and is regularly voted one of the best beaches and coastlines in the country.
For a quieter experience, visitor numbers drop to around 1,000 people in the winter compared to the summer peak season.
You can stay near Woolacombe beach from £65 a night.
7. Elafonissi Beach, Elafonissi, Greece
Elafonissi is well-known in Greece for having pink sandy beaches.
However, it is in the southeast corner of Crete in a more unpopulated part of the island.
8. Cala Mariolu, Baunei, Italy
Cala Mariolu, in Sardinia, is a pebbled beach but popular with scuba divers.
It is tucked away into the island coves, and you can only get to it by boat.
9. Balos Lagoon, Kissamos, Greece
Crete’s second top ten beach is Balos Lagoon, with its clear turquoise water making it famous.
The shallow waters make it easy for boats to dock, or you can drive to it.
10. Black Sand Beach, Vik, Iceland
An unusual beach, the Black Sand Beach is known for its… black sand.
The sand gets its colour as it is volcanic sand, and is common at beaches across Iceland.
Top 25 beaches in the world
- Baia do Sancho, Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
- Grace Bay Beach, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
- Playa Paraiso, Cayo Largo, Cuba
- Spiaggia dei Conigli, Lampedusa, Islands of Sicily
- Prainhas do Pontal do Atalaia, Arraial do Cabo, Brazil
- Seven Mile Beach, Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman
- Eagle Beach, Palm – Eagle Beach, Aruba
- Flamenco Beach, Culebra, Puerto Rico
- Varadero Beach, Varadero, Cuba
- Kleftiko Beach, Milos, Cyclades
- Siesta Beach, Siesta Key, Florida
- Radhanagar Beach, Havelock Island, Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Luskentyre, Isle of Harris, Lewis and Harris, Outer Hebrides
- Playa de Ses Illetes, Formentera, Balearic Islands
- La Concha Beach, San Sebastian – Donostia, Spain
- Saint Pete Beach, St. Pete Beach, Florida
- Playa Norte, Isla Mujeres
- Maho Bay Beach, Cruz Bay, St. John
- Bavaro Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- Woolacombe Beach, Woolacombe, United Kingdom
- Elafonissi Beach, Elafonissi, Greece
- Whitehaven Beach, Whitsunday Island, Whitsunday Islands
Continue Reading: Source Link